Most sales meethings probably don't include the word "empathy" very often. It's most likely more of a "numbers meeting" - are you hitting goals and are metrics being met?
All of that is fine and actually very necessary, but when you step back and look at selling a product like insurance, you are selling an emotional product. Insurance isn't something that people get excited about buying and using...they are buying it for emotional reasons (besides those new legal reasons: ACA). As a salesperson, you need to tap into those emotions to close more deals.
Here are 8 of the best quotes about using empathy in sales:
- Mary Kay Ash: "Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, 'Make me feel important.'Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life."
- Zig Ziglar: "You will get all you want in life if you help enough other people get what they want."
- Bo Bennett: "I like to think of sales as the ability to gracefully persuade, not manipulate, a person or persons into a win-win situation."
- Bob Hooey: "If you are not taking care of your customer, your competitor will."
- Patricia Fripp: "You don't close a sale, you open a relationship if you want to build a long-term, successful enterprise."
- Steve Chandler: "The sale most often goes to the most interested party."
- Dale Carnegie: "You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."
- Zig Ziglar: "People don't buy for logical reasons. They buy for emotional reasons."