To start the new month off right, we’re going to talk about everyone’s favorite subject: data migration. Now, this may be a new term for some of you, for others, it might be something you’ve heard about but don’t really understand. Today, let’s cover the basics.
What is data migration?
According to Techopedia:
Data migration is the process of transporting data between computers, storage devices, or formats. It is a key consideration for any system implementation, upgrade or consolidation.
For the insurance world, this means the transfer of the data (all of your client, policy, carrier, commission, and agent information) in your book-of-business from one system to another.
When would I need a data migration?
Data migration only comes into play when you are changing how you manage your information, so hopefully it won’t happen often. Some of the common times you’ll encounter data migration include:
- Upgrading from paper to Excel files
- Buying into a new industry-specific Agency Management System (AMS)
- Moving to a new generic Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software
What are some things I should consider?
Again, data migration shouldn’t be something you experience on a regular basis, so when you do decide to take it on, here are some things to consider:
- Organization. A data migration can be a huge undertaking and not something that should be taken lightly. To have the most seamless transition as possible, you need to be prepared, and you need to make sure your data is as well. What does this mean? It means making sure your data is in an organized format that is consistent throughout your entire book-of-business. This format is what we commonly refer to as “clean data”.
- Cost confirmation. If you are considering going to an AMS or a CRM, then make sure you ask your rep about data migration and its fees. This is an area that often falls in the “extra costs” that aren’t factored into your monthly or yearly subscription payment. You don’t want to be blindsided with a hefty charge, so make sure you’re quoted the price before you subscribe
Why are these important?
Data migration is akin to moving. When you move you prepare (usually). You buy materials, pack boxes, label them, and make a plan. Rarely do you just throw things in big garbage bags and call it good. Same with data migration, you want to make your transition as easy as possible, so organizing your data and having it ready to go will make a massive difference.
Are you ready to upgrade your management system?
If you are looking to upgrade from paper files to Excel sheets or go further and fully upgrade to an industry-specific AMS or generic CRM, then make sure you vet the solution thoroughly to ensure the option you’re picking is one that can assist you into the future and support your goals. If you are looking at Excel, then we highly suggest you consider reading our blog: 7 Reasons You Shouldn’t Use Excel to Manage Your Book-of-Business. If you’re looking at the AMS or CRM options, check out two of our free eBooks:
Both of these eBooks can help you and your team navigate the process of searching, vetting, and ultimately choosing the right system for you.
Does an industry-specific AMS sound like just the tool your agency needs?
Schedule a live, one-on-one demo with one of our experienced sales reps to see how AgencyBloc can help organize, automate and grow your insurance agency.
Schedule a Demo Now