So you've been doing business in roughly the same manner for multiple years and it works just fine...if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? That's one option. Option two is to take a look around you and ask yourself if you'll be able to continue to compete with the changing 'new way' of business that's taking place. If you're going with option two, read on! (I recommend reading on if you're going with option one as well - up to you.)
This 'new way' of doing business requires some changes to how you work and some of the tools that you use. Below is a checklist of sorts to help you get up to speed on modern hardware and software:
- One of the best investments you can make is purchasing a good computer with a somewhat modern operating system. It's time to retire the Gateway 2000.
- A tablet makes it easy to take everything you need on the road.
- A scanner will allow you to move physical paperwork to an online loctation (more on this below).
- I probably don't need to mention it but I will anyways - you need a smart phone.
- Lose the filing cabinets and start storing documents in "the cloud".
- Upgrade your web browser. Right now: http://browsehappy.com/
- If you have remote staff or agents on the road, talk to them face-to-face and even share screens with them using online meeting tools like GoToMeeting, Join.me, or Google Hangouts.
- Use a web based agency management system that allows you to organze your entire agency all in one place.
So there you have it, the basics. Your agency is now ready to try out the 'new way' of doing business.
Next step? Get FREE advice from an expert: