Email marketing should be a huge part of your insurance agency's marketing program. If it's not, check out the stats below and ask yourself why it's not.
- Email marketing yields an average 4,300% return on investment for businesses in the United States. (Direct Marketing Association)
- 95% of those who opt into email messages from brands find these messages somewhat or very useful. (Salesforce)
- Email conversion rates are three times higher than social media, with a 17% higher value in the conversion. (McKinsey & Company)
- Over 50% of respondents say they read most of their emails. (HubSpot)
So now I can go on assuming that you either already use email marketing or you're going to start very soon. If you're already doing email marketing, are you tracking your open rate?
The average email open rate for the insurance industry is 19.9% (MailChimp)
No matter what your open rate is there's no denying that the higher it is, the better. With that being said, here are 3 important factors for increasing your open rate:
- Get past the spam filters
Before anyone can open your email it needs to actually get into their inbox. The following steps will improve your emails chances of making it past the spam filters and into the inbox:
- Throughout your emails (not just the subject line), avoid salesy words like "Free," "Cash," "Save," and "Quote."
- Don't use all CAPS anywhere in your email or exclamation marks!
- Don't use a lot of images or large images.
- Use spell check. Misspellings are a spam indicator.
- Don't embed videos into your email.
- Write optimized subject lines
The subject line gives you a brief moment to convince the email recipient to open your email. So obviously you should grab their attention and offer something that they can't resist, right? Actually, that's the worst thing you can do. With the amount of junk email we all get, the more salesy an email appears the more likely we are to just delete it (or even mark it as spam). Your best bet is to make your subject lines personal and timely.
"John, your health policy is renewing in 2 weeks - let's chat."
"March update from XYZ Insurance"
"Open enrollment season is near - are you ready?"
"FREE INSURANCE ADVICE!"
"HUGE DISCOUNTS COMING - LEARN MORE"
"Important message for you - open immediately"
- Build trust with your recipients
Building trust with your email list is just like building trust with a prospect in real life. People buy from (and open emails from) people they know and trust. Building trust with a list of email addresses may seem like a tall task but it's actually pretty simple.
- Use a consistent sender (from) name and email address
- Send your emails from a real person rather than your agency. Better yet, send the email from a contacts agent of record if sending to a list of prospects or clients.
- Provide valuable content that benefits the recipient. Nobody likes an email that only benefits the sender.
Get FREE tools and insights from AgencyBloc delivered directly to your inbox.