Learn about the power of strategic email campaigns and how they can set you (and your clients) up for success.
With more than 4 billion daily email users worldwide, it’s no wonder email is one of the most effective, popular communication tools between businesses and their clients.
Email marketing offers many benefits. It’s a low-cost, efficient way to drive conversions. It’s also a great way to humanize your agency, helping you build lasting client connections and ultimately, improving brand awareness and loyalty. What’s more, it can be a great tool for establishing your credibility and industry expertise.
Email Campaign Best Practices
Email marketing provides a unique opportunity to reach a lot of people instantly. However, to make sure you get the most out of the time and energy you invest in email marketing, you must be strategic in your communication tactics.
Here are a few email campaign tips:
- Personalize every email
- Write clear, straightforward subject lines
- Only send valuable, engaging content
- Keep a conversational tone
- Include a call to action
- Send emails in a timely manner
With 40% of email opens being on mobile devices, you want to make sure your emails are mobile-friendly. You should also stick to a regular sending schedule, but make sure you don’t bombard your clients with too many emails.
Examples of Powerful, Simple Email Campaigns
Poor communication is the number one reason people leave their insurance agencies. Email marketing can bridge this client communication gap, but it needs to be well thought out.
When it comes to email marketing campaigns, the options are endless. Your email content should always be valuable, relevant, and specific to the recipient. Include a mix of promotions and educational content, as well as fun, engaging emails that nurture the relationship.
Here are some ideas for different types of campaigns you can run to stay in touch with your clients and make them feel like they’re your priority.
Email marketing campaigns are a great way to manage your leads at various stages in the sales pipeline, nurturing them until they convert.
- Follow-up emails are a powerful tactic for both current and prospective clients. Send prospects who request an agent to contact them an initial follow-up email, where their assigned agent introduces themselves and establishes communication.
Persistence also pays off. If a client hasn’t converted, following up keeps your agency top of mind until they do. After all, 60% of people say “no” an average of four times before they make a purchase.
- Cross-selling is a valuable sales tactic that can immensely improve client satisfaction while also driving conversions. Conduct a Client Needs Assessment to find gaps in your client’s coverage or identify opportunities for additional products to help them with future needs. Then, reach out with your findings and let them know you have a solution.
- Reminder emails are a great way to re-engage with your clients. Policy renewals and open enrollment (OEP) aren’t usually top of mind for your clients like they are for you. So, while you might have enrollment season dates highlighted on your calendar, your clients will appreciate you giving them notice ahead of time regarding important dates.
Pro tip: Your clients might not be ready to sign up right away, so creating a drip campaign with reminders before and during the OEP can help you reach the right people at the right time.
In addition, you can announce company updates, new products and services, relevant policy changes, and other valuable information pertaining to your agency and your clients.
The benefits of educational emails are twofold: They empower your clients by helping them stay informed and also reinforce your expertise, which strengthens their confidence in you.
Whether you send a newsletter, promote a case study, share industry insights, or encourage clients to visit your blog, educational emails are key to building trust in your client base and helping them understand the value your services provide.
Fun, engaging emails that aren’t all business are an easy way to make your clients feel valued and show that you genuinely care about them.
- Welcome emails are typically the first contact you make with your clients, making them an extremely powerful touchpoint. In fact, over 80% of people open welcome emails — generating four times more opens and 10 times more click-throughs than other emails.
They don’t need to be lengthy, fancy, or complicated. Personalize your welcome emails by addressing the client by name and introducing yourself. Let your clients know you’re excited to serve them and happy to help with whatever they may need.
Pro tip: If you plan on sending your clients newsletters, a welcome email is a perfect opportunity to let them know how often they should expect an email from you.
- Send thank you emails when someone signs up for your email newsletter — they’re taking time out of their day to subscribe and giving you access to their inbox.
Pro tip: Make sure all of your contact information is present on the thank you email so they can quickly and easily reach out to you if needed.
- Wish your clients well on their birthday to make them feel appreciated on their special day.
- Celebrate the anniversary of your partnership by sending a fun email that says how much you appreciate their business.
You can also conduct surveys to assess client health through email. This will help you identify which clients are and are not satisfied with your agency so that you can take action accordingly. In addition, you can ask those who are satisfied with your service for referrals or testimonials to further grow and support your book of business.
How to Save Time on Your Email Campaigns
Creating strategic, thoughtful email campaigns can quickly become a large investment of time and energy that you may not have the bandwidth for — especially if you’re manually writing and sending them. Luckily, there are some ways to create high-quality content without spending too much time.
Automated campaigns are the most efficient, effective way to save time on email marketing, and can provide an email experience that engages and connects with your clients more than ever.
Email campaigns can be built to be both time- and event-based. For example, if a client’s birthday or policy expiration date is coming up, you can create emails for these events ahead of time, and set them to send at a specific date and time.
In an agency management system (AMS) like AgencyBloc, you can build customized automation for activities regarding individuals, groups, policies, agents, and carriers based on your needs. For example, when a lead fills out a lead form, it automatically funnels their information into the AMS, assigns an agent to the lead, creates a task for follow-up, and sets a reminder — saving valuable time and ensuring no important steps are missed.
Our industry-specific AMS has powerful insurance automation tools that can help you stay organized, create custom reports and automated workflows, track leads in your sales pipeline, and more.
This blog was originally published on 8/9/2016. It has been updated and republished on 9/28/2021.